Colorado: Prop 112

dan_s

Colorado: Prop 112

Post by dan_s »

MOUNTAIN STATES

Opposed to Proposition 112 . Post Independent . Opinion.
Proposition 112 would harm jobs and our community. My family's trucking business is dependent on the oil and natural gas industry in Colorado. We're not the face of the oil and gas industry, but it's a big part of who we are and what we do. Proposition 112 threatens our company and the employees who work for us. This unwise measure that would ban oil and gas development in Colorado is sold as a safety measure, but would only cause economic ruin in our state and, in particular, on the Western Slope. If Proposition 112 passes, Colorado would lose 35,000 to 43,000 jobs the first year and nearly 150,000 jobs in years following. In all likelihood, my job could be one of the 150,000 lost, as we service primarily the oil and gas industry. Sadly, 77 percent of the jobs ultimately lost in Colorado due to this devastating measure wouldn't even be in the oil and gas industry. That's nearly 115,000 jobs in industries like teaching, health care, retail, hospitality, construction, and more.

Anti-fracking chaos in Colorado . Canada Free Press . Opinion.
The anti-fracking folks are trying a clever new strategy in Colorado. Instead of banning fracking, they just make it impossible. In fact, they make nearly all oil and gas development and production impossible—which is exactly what radical “leave it in the ground” eco factions demand. The new trick is called “buffer zones,” which means areas where drill rigs and fracturing work cannot be done, so nothing can be found or produced. Colorado already has 500-foot diameter buffer zones around every house and 1,000-footers around things like schools and hospitals. Now comes Proposition 112, which is on The Centennial State’s November election ballot. This fake “green” hummer does three bad things. First, it extends the buffer zone to 2,500 feet, which around a house is a whopping 25 times bigger circle than before. Analysts estimate that fully 85% of all the private land in Colorado will be closed to oil and gas exploration under Prop 112. That is more than enough to destroy the industry. But if “intermittent stream” is interpreted broadly enough, it could well be 100%.

Proposition 112 would destroy jobs . Boulder Daily Camera . Opinion.
Colorado already imposes tough regulations on energy development, including strict setback requirements to protect people, communities and natural habitats. Proposition 112 backers, many of them allied with activist groups based in other states, are pushing this extreme ballot initiative not in response to actual public safety or environmental needs, but merely as another way to attack domestic energy production. I'm proud Colorado helps meet U.S. energy demand with fuels we produce, instead of buying from foreign countries. And I certainly appreciate the jobs and economic stimulus natural gas and oil development brings to our state. Proposition 112 is estimated to destroy close to 150,000 Colorado jobs, with well over 100,000 of them in industries other than energy production. In addition to lost jobs, the Colorado economy would take an estimated $200 billion hit over 12 years and tax revenues would fall by as much as $9 billion. If you care about Colorado, join me in voting no on Proposition 112 in November.
Dan Steffens
Energy Prospectus Group