Talos

grimaldi

Talos

Post by grimaldi »

I just saw a news report that this capsized lift boat in the Gulf, where the Coast Guard is still searching for bodies, was contracted to Talos?

Is that true? Not to sound too calloused about the accident, will it be a problem for the company?

What is a 'lift boat" anyway? Pictures make it look like a huge platform.
I know nothing about maritime risk but it looks way too big to be destroyed by a storm---

TIA,
Joyce
Fraser921

Re: Talos

Post by Fraser921 »

Seacor was the owner and I'm sure they had insurance

Six survivors were rescued from the 2,300-gt Seacor Power (built 2002) on Wednesday after it was turned over by hurricane-force winds.

The 39-metre vessel capsized 12 km from Port Fourchon on Tuesday afternoon amid a half-hour of 120 km per hour winds in the area, followed by hours of winds over 80kph.

The self-propelled, self-elevating vessel is used to support drilling or exploration activities.

AP reported that Marion Cuyler, the fiancee of crane operator Chaz Morales, was waiting with wives and family of other missing workers at a fire station near a landing site where helicopters were coming and going.

She said she talked to her fiancee before he left on Tuesday.

"He said that they were jacking down and they were about to head out, and I'm like, 'The weather's too bad. You need to come home.' And he's like, 'I wish I could,'" she added.
dan_s

Post by dan_s »

Talos has not said anything about the accident. Talos does not own the boat and I don't think the people on it worked for Talos. The crew all worked for Seacor. My guess is that Seacor thought the vessel was at risk in deeper water because of the storm. Of course hindsight is 20/20. There will be a full investigation by the Coast Guard.

This is a Liftboat: https://seacormarine.com/fleet/liftboats/

There is risk working offshore. When I was at Hess, the Company operated 24 offshore platforms. The men and women that work offshore are a "different breed" and they know the risks. Employee safety is a BIG DEAL offshore.
Dan Steffens
Energy Prospectus Group
dan_s

Post by dan_s »

Picture of the Seacor Power: https://seacormarine.com/vessel/265-class-seacor-power/

It took a big wave to overturn a boat of this size.
Dan Steffens
Energy Prospectus Group
mrbill

Post by mrbill »

First thing I thought of was video of the waves and living in the general area we had some rough weather.
These small liftboats are not rugged like the LeTourneau jack ups all over the World. The hull looked relatively
small/thin which makes me think that when they raise the legs up high to move the vcg/vertical center of gravity climbs up leading to increased instability. Maybe they should have stayed jacked up and rode out the bad weather. But some "boss" probably rolled the dice and said "move". There were many other vessels out there at the time, other liftboats.
Seacor is a first class company. Jones Act lawyer fest here it comes.

BTW, we are bidding plenty of new construction "Wind Farm SOV" vessels at the shipyards in the GOM. Bobbing corks if you ask me. LeTourneau has already started offering their jack up designs outfitted for offshore windmill work
Makes sense, those things are quite big and a proven LeTourneau jack, minus the drilling gear can handle a giant
crane. Old jack up rigs on the verge of scrapping might get repurposed into this service.