I live near Boston... grrr or should I say brrr

Fraser921

I live near Boston... grrr or should I say brrr

Post by Fraser921 »

Botched strategy of New England politicians in blocking new pipelines to the region from the Marcellus. In the past during cold weather events, New England, which relies heavily on natural gas to generate electricity, has imported natural gas from our enemies in Russia in order to keep the lights on It’s truly insane that we import LNG from Russia when the Marcellus is a couple of hundred miles (and a short pipeline trip) away. Yet history is about to repeat itself again… > This drives me insane

The futures price of natural gas for contracts in New England for January and February has climbed as high as $22/MMBtu–the highest on record going back at least eight years. There is currently a worldwide shortage of natural gas, particularly in Europe and Asia, and everyone (including New England) is freaking out, imagining blackouts and no heat in the middle of a cold winter.

Pipelines, or even LNG by rail, could fix this ongoing problem for New England. Yet the hardened leftists who run the region as a Third World Country refuse to allow either. It’s their own fault when the blackouts begin.

The winter 2022 forwards contracts at Algonquin city-gates are trading at record highs recently as New England’s gas market prepares to compete in the global LNG arena for peak-season cargoes.

Since the start of June, winter gas prices at Algonquin have more than doubled from the low-$9 area as an enduring supply crunch in the LNG market has pushed global price indexes to record highs.

On Sept. 28, Northeast Asia’s benchmark LNG import price, the Platts JKM, surged to a fresh record at over $32/MMBtu. At the Dutch TTF hub in Europe, the prompt-month price also hit a record high Sept. 28, settling north of $27/MMBtu, price data from S&P Global Platts showed.

Strong global prices could make for a bullish winter in New England’s gas market this year, where limited storage and constrained pipelines keep end-users dependent on LNG imports on peak winter heating days.

Last season, prices at Algonquin briefly surged to around $11 to $12 in January and again in February but averaged just $4.92 and $8.37/MMBtu during the two months, respectively. In previous winters, Algonquin has seen similar spikes, sometimes into the $20 to $30 range, although only for brief periods.

This season, historically tight supply in both the domestic and global markets could mean sustained price levels near $20, with prices on peak heating days potentially spiking significantly higher.

LNG imports

During the winter 2020-2021 heating season, New England’s Everett LNG terminal imported a total 19.2 Bcf. In the winter season prior, the terminal took 22.2 Bcf, according to S&P Global Platts Analytics data.
dan_s

Re: I live near Boston... grrr or should I say brrr

Post by dan_s »

AR, EQT and RRC are going to cash in on the high spot market prices in New England this winter. They all have very good marketing teams, especially RRC.

Are there actually educated people in New England that think Biden is doing a good job?
Dan Steffens
Energy Prospectus Group