Coal Miners

ChuckGeb

Coal Miners

Post by ChuckGeb »

Looks like CONSOL is significantly impaired by having its Baltimore shipping terminal on wrong side of the downed bridge. Anybody have suggestions on coal names that will have an opportunity to pick up the slack left by this tragic event?
moke

Re: Coal Miners

Post by moke »

I listened to a coal mining analyst, one of few left, can't remember his name. He was asked the question if you had one miner to pick who would it be. He mentioned Warrior (HCC) a. met coal miner. He said he will hold it forever.
They have the best reputation both nationally and internationally.
Thermal coal is going to be around a long time. That is all I know about coal.
dbrown

Post by dbrown »

This should continue to be a good area, if you have a long-term investment horizon. Finding good companies is a bit of a challenge. With all the negative publicity on coal, it makes for some good opportunities. Many companies have bought assets at very attractive costs over the last few years from companies desperately trying to divest away from coal.

Here are some companies I invested in a few years ago to consider with appropriate due diligence. It is probably time for me to look at the sector again as some of the names have had nice pullbacks and there may be new companies to consider. I use IBKR as many companies are on foreign exchanges, which provide more attractive opportunities in this sector. Some do have ADRs or are on other exchanges. I recall looking at Consol Energy, but can't remember why I did not invest. My tendency is to buy several names in a sector as individual companies have more risk.

New Hope (ASX)
Whitehaven (ASX)
Stanmore (ASX)
China Shenhua (SEHK)
Yankuang Energy Group (SEHK)
China Coal (SEHK)
Arch Resources (NYSE)
Hallador Energy (NASDAQ)
ChuckGeb

Post by ChuckGeb »

Thanks guys. I have taken a look a warrior which appears to be a good one with mining in Alabama shipping out from Mobile. Will take a look at the additional names presented. I''m going to shy away from any company with China in its name or known to be lurking behind the curtain.
aja57

Post by aja57 »

Big fan of ARCH. Has backed off a double top of 185. FCF yield of 10%, ROIC is 24% and its price to economic book value at zero growth is worth $370.