Sweet 16 Update - June 12

dan_s

Sweet 16 Update - June 12

Post by dan_s »

The Sweet 16 had another strong week and is now up 117.03% YTD, which compares to the S&P 500 Index gain of 13.08% YTD. Wall Street continues to rotate money into this oversold sector and now very profitable sector.

I will be taking a hard look at the forecast/valuation models for CRK, EQT and RRC today in light of the significant spike in natural gas prices.

If you have not yet listened to our June 7 webinar hosted by Talos Energy (TALO), I highly recommend that you do so.

I will have more comments later today.
Dan Steffens
Energy Prospectus Group
Fraser921

Re: Sweet 16 Update - June 12

Post by Fraser921 »

Nice job, Dan! I see you are a guest this week on another blog $ 100 oil. I will be there!
dan_s

Post by dan_s »

I have updated my forecast/valuation model for EQT Corp (EQT) and I am increasing my valuation by $7 to $32.

EQT closed at $23.02 on June 11. At that price it is still trading at less than 70% of book value and there is no justification for this large-cap to be trading at any discount to book value since more than $2 Billion in impairment charges taken in 2019 and 2020 have pushed the book value of their oil & gas producing properties way below fair value.

EQT announce the acquisition of Alta Resources on May 6th. From May 7 to May 24 six well known energy sector analysts have rated it a BUY with price targets of $24 to $28 per share. Since May 24 the outlook for natural gas and NGL prices has improved quite a bit.
Dan Steffens
Energy Prospectus Group
dan_s

Post by dan_s »

I have updated my forecast/valuation model for Comstock Resource (CRK) and I am increasing my valuation by $4.65 to $16.00 per share.

CRK closed at $6.60 on June 11. All of the 12 analysts' reports included in the Reuters' database are dated before April 21 and their price targets are clearly based on much lower natural gas prices than we have today. First Call's price target of $7.47 is just the average of the 12 price targets included in the Reuters's database.

This is how "The Rich Get Richer": Jerry Jones, owner of the Dallas Cowboys holds controlling interest in Comstock (~75% of the common stock). If natural gas prices stay over $3.00, his stake in Comstock should be worth over $3 Billion in less than a year.

CRK has a strong balance sheet and lots of running room.
Dan Steffens
Energy Prospectus Group
dan_s

Post by dan_s »

June 10, 2021 9:18 AM EDT

RBC Capital analyst Brad Heffern upgraded Range Resources (NYSE: RRC) from Sector Perform to Outperform with a price target of $20.00 (from $15.00).

The analyst comments "We are upgrading RRC to Outperform from Sector Perform based on our updated commodity price forecast and in particular for RRC, its exposure to a more bullish NGL macro. We also see RRC shares trading at an attractive valuation with a marked discount to its peers. The NGL price tailwind could accelerate RRC's debt reduction quicker than investor expectations and allow the company to reach its leverage target by mid-2022, a catalyst for shareholder returns."
Dan Steffens
Energy Prospectus Group
dan_s

Post by dan_s »

I have updated my forecast/valuation model for Range Resources (RRC). My valuation increases by $5 to $22 per share.

I have been following and modeling RRC for over a decade. I have an extremely high level of confidence in my forecast model for this one. Their production and line-by-line income statement guidance is accurate and tends to be conservative. They have an outstanding marketing group that gets them the best prices for their natural gas and NGLs.

Range is in MUCH BETTER shape today than it was a year ago. Their debt issues have been resolved. They are on track to generate $430 to $450 million of free cash flow from operations this year and much more in 2022 if natural gas prices average $3.00.
Dan Steffens
Energy Prospectus Group
uberCOAT

Post by uberCOAT »

Regarding Comstock's recent increased valuation to $16.00 per share.

Would you know what the non-core acreage Comstock has on the books that they can potentially sell (i.e. Eagle Ford) and estimated value? I thought it might be close of 9,000 acers, but I am not sure and could not validate. It would help accelerate the deleveraging process if they can sell.
Last edited by uberCOAT on Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
dan_s

Post by dan_s »

Mike;
Comstock's South Texas leasehold is not in the Tier One area of the Eagle Ford. I'm sure it has some value, but they have not mentioned anything about trying to sell it. Try sending the question to Ron Mills, their IR guy.
Based on my forecast, Comstock should generate close to $900 million of operating cash flow this year, which compares to the high end of their D&C capex budget of $560 million. Free cash flow of $340 million will be used to pay down debt this year. If ngas prices remain high, they may bring on another operated drilling rig in Q4.
CRK should be a double for us if natural gas prices stay over $3.00, which is a safe bet today.
Dan Steffens
Energy Prospectus Group
uberCOAT

Post by uberCOAT »

Thanks Dan
uberCOAT

Post by uberCOAT »

Dan, CRK does not produce much LNG, For my own education, why and/or should they? Would it help them from a strategic standpoint?
Last edited by uberCOAT on Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.