Small-Cap Growth Portfolio

dan_s

Small-Cap Growth Portfolio

Post by dan_s »

I am updating all of my forecast models for the companies in our Small-Cap Growth Portfolio this weekend. You can find them under the Watch List tab. Remember, you must log onto the website to see the current forecast models.

In our next edition of The View From Houston (which will be sent to all EPG members on Monday, July 7), I will focus on some of the small-caps that I believe will be reporting outstanding growth during the 2nd half of this year. The small-caps should draw more attention if oil prices hold up and fund managers expand their scope.
Dan Steffens
Energy Prospectus Group
dan_s

Re: Small-Cap Growth Portfolio

Post by dan_s »

I spent a lot of time working on Halcon Resources (HK) last week, which has significantly improved my outlook for Comstock Resources (CRK). Read this and you will see why.
http://seekingalpha.com/article/2289323 ... a-home-run

Note where CRK's acreage sits in both East Texas and the TMS. HK is actively drilling in both areas, which will prove up and increase the value of CRK's leasehold.

CRK is primarily focused on the Eagle Ford this year, but the TMS could become another core area of growth for them.
Dan Steffens
Energy Prospectus Group
dan_s

Re: Small-Cap Growth Portfolio

Post by dan_s »

Here is an perfect example of why our small-caps have the potential to make big moves when they announce Q2 results.

I just went to First Call to check their current EPS and CFPS forecasts for Comstock Resources (CRK). I noticed that a lot of analysts have not updated their forecasts in months, which means they are still using outdated oil and gas prices. The range of EPS estimates for 2015 is $0.22 to $2.02. That is quite a range for a company that is actually very simple to forecast. Based on my updated forecast model, CRK will generate approximately $1.76 EPS and $12.65 CFPS in 2015 and I think my production forecast for 2015 is VERY CONSERVATIVE.

FIRST CALL is a service provided by Reuters. Their Revenue, EPS and CFPS forecasts are just the average of forecasts provided to them by other financial firms. For small-caps, there are a lot less forecasts submitted than for a large-cap like CLR or EOG. Therefore, one or two outdated forecast can really impact the First Call estimates. It is important to look at the range of forecasts and how many are included in the sample.

My updated forecast model for CRK is now available under the Watch List tab.
Dan Steffens
Energy Prospectus Group