Cold Weather, EVs and Mileage News to Me

Cliff_N

Cold Weather, EVs and Mileage News to Me

Post by Cliff_N »

"Maine notes in a plan submitted to the Federal Highway Administration this summer that “cold temperatures will remain a top challenge” for adoption, since “cold weather reduces EV range and increases charging times.” When temperatures drop to 5 degrees Fahrenheit, the cars achieve only 54% of their quoted range. A vehicle that’s supposed to be able to go 250 miles between charges will make it only 135 miles on average. At 32 degrees—a typical winter day in much of the country—a Tesla Model 3 that in ideal conditions can go 282 miles between charges will make it only 173 miles."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/not-so-fast-on-electric-cars-toyota-biden-subsidies-technical-difficulties-cold-weather-traffic-cyber-11671830734?mod=e2fb&fbclid=IwAR1iKfaQu1RcPeQVqrIq9nSUIla7qGoZGKJ3wCFMa6HfANrMLo9sj2bz1IQ_aem_th_Ad4OfR8F1MXWTJQOmAww-ZMzEw0USSy6g7prqH9szMuegFwigoo1sSFA3WwiUPXjmUmxG_aUKmwrmOCTGwCiWHLG

The hits just keep on coming.
dan_s

Re: Cold Weather, EVs and Mileage News to Me

Post by dan_s »

Cliff;
Good stuff. Everyone thinking of buying an EV needs to do a lot of research. Lots of hidden costs and lower resale value after five years since by then the engine (entire battery pack) will need to be replaced.
Dan Steffens
Energy Prospectus Group