Pom Rescue

dan_s

Pom Rescue

Post by dan_s »

We financially support a wonderful organization called Pom Rescue. We have adopted two dogs (Ollie and Ziggy) from Pom Rescue.
Below is a note we got this morning.

It's National Rescue Dog Day.

Rescuing is HARD! We see how horrible dogs can, and are, treated. We spend a lot of time in our cars, picking up dogs, taking dogs to their vet appointments, and delivering dogs to their new owners. We're up all hours, answering texts and emails and Facebook posts, comforting dogs (especially during storms), caring for sick or recovering dogs, taking dogs in and out and in and out to go potty, and tracking down dogs. Our emotions are stretched to their limits, wondering if this new dog is going to make it, waiting to see if they have heartworms or some other illness. We hate to take vacations because something might happen to the dogs in our rescue while we're gone or another dog might need rescued while we're gone.

Rescue is also REWARDING! You watch a scared, shy, shut down dog come out of their shell and become a happy, bouncy, well-adjusted dog. You help the dog that's battered and beaten heal and bloom. You fall in love again and again and see the dog you love find the perfect home and be completely spoiled and loved, and most importantly, happy. You know your hard work was all worth it.
-----------------------
Ollie (a Pom) was a real rescue because he lived the first year of his life in a cage in a "puppy mill". For over a month he would not let us hold him. Today he loves Susan and "likes" me. He is still very fearful of other people.

Ziggy (a mix we aren't sure of) is a big Chihuahua. His previous owner died when he was ~2 years old. He is "My Dog" who doesn't like when I pay too much attention to Ollie.
Dan Steffens
Energy Prospectus Group
Fraser921

Re: Pom Rescue

Post by Fraser921 »

Good job!
Lbark

Post by Lbark »

Dan, you touched a nerve with my wife, Susan and myself. We have had 3 dogs and all of them were rescues. We get annoyed when people talk about their breeders. There are so many dogs needing rescuing and they love you more than a breeders dog would. My wife used to do pet portraits and donate money to animal charities. Sparky is a jack russell terrier who we rescued at 8 months and he is 11 now. Neither of us can stand going to Humane Society for seeing all of those loving dogs is too hard. Thanks for your love of rescue dogs. They are the best.
dan_s

Post by dan_s »

Our vet thinks Ziggy is 50/50 Chihuahua and Jack Russell. He is definitely an "Alpha Dog".
Dan Steffens
Energy Prospectus Group