Kim's Behaviorial Finance Class

europhia

Kim's Behaviorial Finance Class

Post by europhia »

So, I'm in a Behavioral Finance class which has us studying how people's behavior influences their investment decisions.

My class project is on Energy Prospectus and my professor would like me to engage the EPG members and ask you all for your feedback on Dan and his work. Some questions he'd like to see answered:

-How long have you been following Dan? What is your relationship with him (long time friend, random person you met?
-What have you done with his predictions? How do you use them?
-How well has Dan done for you?
-Do you use any other analyst information? If so, who?

And just any other comments you'd like to add. We have to give a presentation to the class, so he likes to see funny stuff on the slides. I thought it'd be funny to have a slide showing things that people have bought with the earnings they got through Dan's analysis. I know one of the members bought a car with his portfolio earnings. If anyone else has interesting things they've bought, I'd like to hear.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Kim
kenward

Re: Kim's Behaviorial Finance Class

Post by kenward »

How long have you been following Dan? What is your relationship with him (long time friend, random person you met? many years random
-What have you done with his predictions? How do you use them? I have purchased some stocks although I buy in large blocks and small caps do not always work for me.
-How well has Dan done for you? ok
Yes many others Leeb Weisse Morningstar
setliff

Post by setliff »

-How long have you been following Dan? What is your relationship with him (long time friend, random person you met?
met him thru the yahoo msg board about 3 yrs ago.

not much until last year. he provides good leads, but i do my own dd.

excellent until the greece/euro deal.

raymond james/lehman research.
bsmotherman

Post by bsmotherman »

I have only known Dan a few months. I was introduced at one of the luncheons by Becky Dieley who worked with Dan many years ago and was there networking as she was between jobs. She knew I was also between jobs and invited me to network. I knew two other attendees at that luncheon and was really intrigued by Dan and the whole approach to the Sweet 16. I have now attended three luncheons and made small investments in two of the presenting companies. I look forward to learning more and getting to know fellow members as I continue to actively participate. I think it is a unique format and appreciate being allowed to join.

I have done OK with Dan's predictions in the short time I have held the investments. Of course the current situation in the Gulf with the BP spill has depressed most industry investments.

I do not use any other investment advisors as my portfolio is pretty limited and I am in a very conservative mode now.

Barry Smotherman
Bobwins

Post by Bobwins »

I met Dan on the TGA board several years ago. I found out that he had a separate board a couple of years ago and asked to join.

I haven't invested in many of the Sweet 16 except over the past year I invested heavily in atpg. I have lost over 50% on my investment so far. The Gulf spill has dropped all GOM producers and has hampered ATPG's projected rapid rise in production for 2010.

I have been investing full time for about 10 years. I read many other internet message boards and share information with several other individuals. Don't use a broker for recommendations. Strictly use online brokers for both Canadian and US stocks.
dan_s

Post by dan_s »

Kim;
What you will find is that those who invested in TGA love me and those who invested in ATPG think I'm an idiot. Few actually follow my advise to diversify their investments. Personally, I rate myself based on the overall portfolio return. Except for 2008 the Sweet-16 has done quite well.
I enjoy the responses so far.

Dan
Dan Steffens
Energy Prospectus Group
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

LOL. Too funny Dan. I'm said that I missed the boat on TGA...I mean, they are doing well, but I would've liked to have gotten in back in January or so.

I'm still waiting to read what people have bought with their earnings.
wilboro

Post by wilboro »

Hi Kim,

I have been following Dan from WA on the net since ~ 2005. I am up 1.64 since that time in our energy related investiments. I currently hold bexp,dnr,gopr,kog,nfx,nog,pbegf,pbr,tga,atpg,tagof for energy stocks.

~80% of my wife's and my $ are employee sponsored retirement accounts. We are contributing the max. and have been for years. I selectively manage these. I will retire in less than a year. I do a better job investing my wife's $ than my own, now and over a long period of time. I have been an active investor since 1980. Since 1990 investing has been a second job. Like most investors getting the sell right has been more problematic than the buy.

I started reading my father's Kipplinger Washington letter in the late 50's in 6th or 7th grade. I follow IBD also + others on occasion.

If he who dies with the most broken toys wins. I am already a competitor.

Craig
mrmuileh

Post by mrmuileh »

Kim:

Answers to your questions:

Ans: Don't remember exactly, but I'd say that I joined Dan's Energy Prospectus group on Yahoo 2-3 yeaars ago. I am a member of Value Forum (paid message board) and became aware of the group via references to Dan's Sweet 16 on Value Forum. I inquired about joining, the price was right, etc., so I joined.

Ans: I have purchased probably a handful of stocks that Dan has included in his Sweet 16. I use a number of different sources as the basis for my investment decisions. These include Energy Prospectus, Value Forum, Investor Village, research from my financial advisor (Morgan Stanley) and knowledgeable energy investors who I've become aware of through Value Forum. I get ideas from all of these sources and when I see that extreme conviction or a concensus among several of my sources, I dig a little deeper and may be willing to invest.

Ans: Some good, some not so good. Petrobank, Kodiak Oil & Gas and Transglobe were nice winners for me. ATP Oil & Gas was a real stinker, although I am trying my luck with this one again. My honest opinion is that Dan does a great job of analysis, but he's not always on the mark in terms of timing of buys/sells, etc. At times, I've thought that I'd like to see a little more turnover in the Sweet 16 from year to year. I'd like to see Dan jettison some of the ideas that are not working and consider adding new companies to the Sweet 16. Some interesting companies like Pacific Rubiales, Arcan Resources, Belletrix, etc. etc. I'd really love to see Dan's analyses of more of the promising juniors.

Ans: Think I answered this question above.

And just any other comments you'd like to add.
Ans: Like I said above, I think Dan is better as an analyst than a stock tout. I think he needs to decide if he wants to position Energy Prospectus as an information source, or as a stock picker. There's quite a difference, I think. Do you want to live based on the quality of your research/analysis, or based on the performance of your stoick picks? Another observation is that I liked it when posts from the Energyprospectus group were pushed to your e-mail. You became aware of valuable posts more quickly without having to go to a particular website to find them. This resulted in more timely info. I think that it would be good if this feature could be recreated even now that the website is active.
Another far out idea; might Dan's website be a place where energy partnerships might find investors? Could be interesting as long as this was limited to high quality stuff.
europhia

Post by europhia »

What kind of things have you guys bought with your earnings? I've heard stories of cars before and figured it'd be an interesting addition to my presentation to end it on that note.

By the way, for those of you that care, my team is going to do a high level lens model analysis on Dan's Sweet 16 analysis over the last 6 or so years. If he's ok with it, I'll post our report here on the forums.