Why is there so much Gloom and Doom?

dan_s

Why is there so much Gloom and Doom?

Post by dan_s »

Sent to me by one of our very smart members:
---------------------------
"Loser Think" by Scott Adams, this is Chapter 10 entitled “The Golden Age.”

The Golden Age Filter

If you pay attention to the news, you are assaulted with one dire warning after another about how the world is barreling mindlessly toward doom. It is easy to lose sight of the big picture: the world is doing well by historical standards, and the rate of improvement is increasing. In this chapter, I’ll give you a quick tour of what is already going right and what is likely to continue going right. I do this to help you recognize how often you can be in a mental prison of negativity while things are actually going quite well. I’m an optimist by nature, and I confess to putting that bias on this chapter. But you don’t need to buy into all my optimism to see the larger point that you have been sold a negative view of the future because of the business model of the press. If the press has a choice of scaring you or telling you everything is fine, one of those paths is more profitable. Fear sells. I hope this chapter helps you to keep the fear stories in context.

POVERTY AND OVERPOPULATION

In 1966, half of the world lived in extreme poverty. By 2017, the number had fallen to 9 percent. Once you get people out of extreme poverty, they tend to have smaller families, which means you get population control for free.
--------------------
MY TAKE: The #1 reason for higher standards of living over the last 50 years is an abundance of energy from fossil fuels. The "Climate Change Wacko's Agenda" will significantly increase the cost of energy and force more and more people back into energy poverty.
Dan Steffens
Energy Prospectus Group