China tightens Graphite Exports (potential EV hiccup)

mitchl

China tightens Graphite Exports (potential EV hiccup)

Post by mitchl »

https://www.reuters.com/world/china/china-require-export-permits-some-graphite-products-dec-1-2023-10-20/

BEIJING, Oct 20 (Reuters) - China said on Friday it will require export permits for some graphite products to protect national security, springing a surprise with another bid to control critical mineral supply in response to challenges over its global manufacturing dominance.

China is the world's top graphite producer and exporter. It also refines more than 90% of the world's graphite into the material that is used in virtually all EV battery anodes, which is the negatively charged portion of a battery.

"What China is saying to the West with this decision is that we are not going to help you make electric cars, you have to find your own way to do that," Northern Graphite (NGC.V) CEO Hugues Jacquemin said.

Graphite producers are up big on this news. I don't own any of the names. We will see if it lasts and what the impact ends up being.
dan_s

Re: China tightens Graphite Exports (potential EV hiccup)

Post by dan_s »

Nouveau Monde Graphite Inc. (NMG) from my Watch List was up 36.6% today. This company thinks they have the largest graphite reserves in North America.
Dan Steffens
Energy Prospectus Group
Orindakid

Re: China tightens Graphite Exports (potential EV hiccup)

Post by Orindakid »

I have been dollar cost averaging into NMG for a year or so. They are down big, but based on their Samsung and CAT deals they could end up doing very well.
Worth a few bucks, all electric mining equipment, electricity from hydro which Quebec has lots of, committed customer etc etc.
Time will tell.
They have a pilot plant running.