Mind-Bogglingly Stupid

dan_s

Mind-Bogglingly Stupid

Post by dan_s »

From a newsletter I got this morning. I could not agree more. - Dan

Not to sound like a broken record, but I still can't wrap my head around the fact that as food prices soar, we continue to devote 40% of our corn production to ethanol.

Folks, corn supplies are so unstable that we're actually “liquidating” cattle and pig herds. We're destroying food so we can fill our gas tanks.

Think about that for a moment...

Think about all the countries across the planet where most people would kill for just a bag of rice or a healthy chicken.

Think about all the people who consider themselves lucky to have just one meal a day.

Can you imagine what those folks would say to some well-fed politician in Washington who thinks it makes sense to trade food for fuel?

It's so mind-bogglingly stupid, there can be no other explanation for continuing this renewable fuel standard other than somebody in Washington's getting rich off the backs of taxpayers.
Dan Steffens
Energy Prospectus Group
dan_s

Re: Mind-Bogglingly Stupid

Post by dan_s »

The Ethanol Illusion

Quite frankly, I'm sick and tired of hearing how much corn-based ethanol has helped us displace foreign oil.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that with domestic oil & gas operations, new enhanced oil recovery technologies, a transition to electric vehicles and natural gas-powered trucks, and something as simple as a higher fuel economy standard, we can accomplish more in ten years than corn-based ethanol could accomplish in 100.

Of course, the silver lining here is that all those things I just mentioned are going to happen. Hell, they're happening right now...

And eventually, no amount of doublespeak or campaign contributions will be able to justify the continued illusion that corn-based ethanol is a good idea.

Economically, socially, and environmentally, it will eventually prove to be one of the slickest government scams ever to pilfer tax payers.
Dan Steffens
Energy Prospectus Group