Survivor - Texas

dan_s

Survivor - Texas

Post by dan_s »

Due to the popularity of the "Survivor" shows, Texas is planning to do one entitled: "Survivor, Texas-Style!"

The lucky contestants will all start in Dallas, drive to Waco, Austin, San Antonio, then to Houston and down to Brownsville. They will then proceed up to Del Rio, El Paso, Odessa, Midland, Lubbock and Amarillo. From there they will go on to Abilene and Fort Worth. Finally back to Dallas.

Pink Prius

Each contestant will be driving a pink Prius with 13 bumper stickers which will read:

1 "I'm a Democrat"

2 "Amnesty for Illegals"

3 "I love the Dixie Chicks"

4 "Boycott Beef"

5 "I Voted for Obama"

6 "George Strait Sucks"

7 "Re-elect Obama in 2012"

8. "Vote Eric Holder Texas Governor"

9. "Rosie O’Donnell is Texas born"

10. "I love Obamacare and Chuck Schumer"

11. "Barney Frank is my hero"

12. "I side with Jane Fonda"

And the last sticker is…

13. "I'm here to confiscate your guns"

The first contestant to make it back to Dallas alive wins!!!
Dan Steffens
Energy Prospectus Group
prince_jake_33

Re: Survivor - Texas

Post by prince_jake_33 »

I changed my mind completely from being against Jane Fonda. What good was the Vietnam war? We began bombing from Guam when it was reported that a fishing boat attacked our Nuclear Sub. A pretext to support our actions for building up Guam and to defoliate the country side.
mdwitte

Post by mdwitte »

"We began bombing from Guam when it was reported that a fishing boat attacked our Nuclear Sub..."

HUH? Do you have a link that recounts this "history"? tia!
prince_jake_33

Post by prince_jake_33 »

I was thinking of the Gulf of Tonkin incident... Maybe my memory is not so good but I thought and an US sub came up under a fishing boat as part of the problem.

Main article: Gulf of Tonkin Resolution

US Defense Secretary Robert McNamara failed to inform US President Lyndon B. Johnson that the U.S. naval task group commander in the Tonkin Gulf, Captain John J. Herrick, had changed his mind about the alleged North Vietnamese torpedo attack on U.S. warships he had reported earlier that day.

By early afternoon of 4 August, Washington time, Herrick had reported to the Commander in Chief Pacific in Honolulu that "freak weather effects" on the ship’s radar had made such an attack questionable. In fact, Herrick was now saying, in a message sent at 1:27 pm Washington time, that no North Vietnamese patrol boats had actually been sighted. Herrick now proposed a "complete evaluation before any further action taken."

McNamara later testified that he had read the message after his return to the Pentagon that afternoon. But he did not immediately call Johnson to tell him that the whole premise of his decision at lunch to approve McNamara’s recommendation for retaliatory air strikes against North Vietnam was now highly questionable. Had Johnson been accurately informed about the Herrick message, he might have demanded fuller information before proceeding with a broadening of the war. Johnson had fended off proposals from McNamara and other advisers for a policy of bombing the North on four separate occasions since becoming President.[32]

President Johnson, who was up for election that year, ordered retaliatory air strikes and went on national television on August 4. Although Maddox had been involved in providing intelligence support for South Vietnamese attacks at Hòn Mê and Hòn Ngư, Johnson denied, in his testimony before Congress, that the U.S. Navy had supported South Vietnamese military operations in the Gulf. He thus characterized the attack as "unprovoked" since the ship had been in international waters.

As a result of his testimony, on August 7, Congress passed a joint resolution (H.J. RES 1145), titled the Southeast Asia Resolution, which granted President Johnson the authority to conduct military operations in Southeast Asia without the benefit of a declaration of war. The Resolution gave President Johnson approval "to take all necessary steps, including the use of armed force, to assist any member or protocol state of the Southeast Asia Collective Defense Treaty requesting assistance in defense of its freedom."
Later statements about the incident

In 1965, President Johnson commented privately: "For all I know, our Navy was shooting at whales out there." [33]

In 1981, Captain Herrick and journalist Robert Scheer re-examined Herrick's ship's log and determined that the first torpedo report from August 4, which Herrick had maintained had occurred—the "apparent ambush"—was in fact unfounded.[20]

Although information obtained well after the fact supported Captain Herrick's statements about the inaccuracy of the later torpedo reports as well as the 1981 Herrick/Scheer conclusion about the inaccuracy of the first, indicating that there was no North Vietnamese attack that night, at the time U.S. authorities and all of the Maddox crew stated that they were convinced that an attack had taken place. As a result, planes from the carriers Ticonderoga and Constellation were sent to hit North Vietnamese torpedo boat bases and fuel facilities during Operation Pierce Arrow.

Squadron commander James Stockdale was one of the U.S. pilots flying overhead during the second alleged attack. Stockdale wrote in his 1984 book Love and War: " had the best seat in the house to watch that event, and our destroyers were just shooting at phantom targets—there were no PT boats there... There was nothing there but black water and American fire power." Stockdale at one point recounts seeing Turner Joy pointing her guns at the Maddox.[34] Stockdale said his superiors ordered him to keep quiet about this. After he was captured, this knowledge became a heavy burden. He later said he was concerned that his captors would eventually force him to reveal what he knew about the second incident.[34]