Did you know this?

dan_s

Did you know this?

Post by dan_s »

American wind turbines kill 1.4 million birds and bats each year, a new peer-reviewed study discloses — while producing just 3 percent of U.S. electricity.

Yet the government has never fined or prosecuted a wind farm for killing eagles and other protected bird species, although each death is a federal crime and the administration has prosecuted oil companies when birds drown in their waste pits and power companies when birds are electrocuted by their power lines.

Since birds and bats are vital in controlling insect populations, the deaths of so many birds and bats would lead to an increase in insect-borne diseases and a decline in crop production, requiring farmers to use more and stronger pesticides.
----------------------------------
I speak at universities several times each year. The students think that wind and solar power is "free". When I tell them that both are extremely expensive and cannot compete with natural gas they just have a puzzled look on their faces. - dan
Dan Steffens
Energy Prospectus Group
dan_s

Re: Did you know this?

Post by dan_s »

During my presentation I always ask one of the students where electricity comes from. About half the time they point to a plug on the wall.
Then I show them a pie chart that shows most of it coming from coal and natural gas burning power plants and less then 1% coming from oil.
Then I ask how more electricity from wind, solar, etc will help us reduce oil consumption.
Puzzled looks again.
Dan Steffens
Energy Prospectus Group